Saturday, January 25, 2014

Happy Birthday, Graham! Take One

I can't believe it's our sweet little Graham's 3rd Birthday! We had a pretty low key morning, then went over to Bud and Kk's for lunch. He loves doing puzzles with his Kk!

Rather than staying at their house until time to get the girls from school, I wanted to run by our house first (blessing #1). Graham didn't want to come with me, he insisted on staying with Bud and Kk! This rarely happens, and they happily agreed to let him stay (blessing #2). I went home and got out of the van to find water in the garage. Not a good sign. When I opened the door, I saw water in the floors and could hear an awful splashing noise. I waded through to the guest bedroom and found a river spilling out of the air vent onto the bed (the ANTIQUE bed! Argh!). I frantically called Jeff who called a plumber. I frantically called my Dad who headed straight over with his shop vac. And I frantically called Kari who agreed to pick up the girls from school for me. I found the water cut off which slowed the water, but it didn't completely stop until my dad turned it off outside. We proceeded to soak up/suck up as much water as we could from the floors and carpet. We got the furniture moved outside and towel dried it all to prevent any water damage. Our plans of celebrating our sweet boy's birthday that evening were quickly put aside and instead we had a house full of plumbers/drying specialists with 5 giant fans. The plumber had to cut 3 holes to find the leak and determined it was in fact a frozen pipe that had burst. Did I mention we were planning to have G's party at our house the next day?

The damage

A little fun added in to the drama, the towels we used were soaking wet of course, so we laid them in the driveway to dry. Instead, they froze! Ha! The girls thought these were pretty funny :)



While it was not what we had planned for Graham's big day, we were really lucky that it wasn't worse than it was. So very thankful I was only gone a couple of hours. So thankful I came home when I did, and even more thankful that Graham wasn't with me! Ha! He would've loved swimming in that mess :) I lost count of all the blessing that surrounded us that day, but one huge one was our sweet Julie offering up her house for our party the next day. What a relief and what a selfless gesture!! We are so very thankful!!!

No comments: