Monday, March 26, 2012

In Like a Lion

 March of 2012 in a nutshell...a large nutshell...

 We took lots of wheelchair walks around the neighborhood

Went to see the Lorax!

On the way to the Safari Park

Playing Peek a Boo at Pop and Gigi's

A trip to the park for fresh air!

A trip to Sweet n Sassy! We had the best hairdresser. She was so sweet and accommodating for the cast. Her nephew has had a lot of leg surgeries so she totally understood :)

Kallen loved the pampering :)

Kinley's assignment she brought home from school. Translation: "If I had three wishes...they would be...My first wish would be to go see the Lincoln Memorial. I'm going to take a plane. My second wish is that I will earn enough money to go to Disney World. I know it will be fun. My third wish is that I will become a princess. I will wear beautiful dresses."

Well, sweet girl, first of all...you ARE a princess. You are beautiful inside and out. Second, the Lincoln Memorial??? Maybe in the future... But last, your Daddy and I have a giant surprise for you and your brother and sister... We earned enough money for Disney ;)! Shhh, no one tell though, it's a surprise!! More details coming soon....

Ah. This picture has a story to go with it. A not-so-happy one with a happy ending. The ortho doctors originally told us Kallen would have to wear her cast 6-8 weeks. We had a follow up appointment somewhere in the 6-7 week range, so we were thinking/hoping/praying that we would be surprised with the news that it would be time to get the cast off. That day. We tried not to get our hopes up, but..well, they were up. Way up. Especially Kallen's. I even might have begged an ortho resident at work the night before to talk Dr. B into it... Here we are waiting for the docs!
So, they doctors came in and I could immediately tell that my resident friend had questioned Dr. B already. Dr. B, who I trust whole heartedly, had this look on his face that let me know that it wasn't happening. I think he would have gone along with it had I pushed, but he wanted to wait until the end of 8 weeks and that's all I needed to hear. I would have waited 12 weeks if he told me that's what was best for Kallen. Seriously, his look of doubt totally cured my strong desire to have my baby's legs back. The last thing I wanted was to get the cast off too soon and ruin all we had worked toward! Kallen, on the other hand...did not take the news so well. Her shoulders fell. Her head hung. She would not look at me or say very much. I have never seen such pure disappointment on her face before. Heart breaking!! Luckily, her dad and I had a little surprise in our pocket and I saw this as the perfect time to tell her. Kallen has been begging to get her ears pierced for about a year. Kinley got hers done on her 5th birthday, so that had always been our plan for Kallen. But, with all she hasn't been able to do lately, we had decided that when she got the cast off we would take her to get her ears pierced. She has earned it. She has been so patient and resilient throughout this whole ordeal, we wanted to reward her sweet spirit with something we knew she REALLY wanted. So, when I saw that sad look on her face as we were heading back to the car, I told her we only had 10 more days in the cast...and that when the cast came off, we would celebrate by getting her ears pierced! She looked at me in disbelief and pure joy. The previous 30 minutes had just been erased in her mind and she went into ultimate countdown mode :)

The girls love snuggling on the couch and watching Netflix together during dinner!

The night of Kinley's 1st Grade Seussical Musical at school. Graham sweet-talked his way out of the stroller...hmm, not sure how that happened!

Everyone around us lovingly helped entertain him :)


Kallen sweet-talked her way out of her wheelchair, too :)

Kinley, aka Thing 11

It was such a cute program!

Jacob and Kinley

My sweet girl! 

 Kallen hanging with Baby Alice!

Kinley and sweet Baby Alice! Look at that hair! We decided her hair line is identical to Jeff's, haha.

Next up, Kinley's class field trip to the Children's Museum!




Kinley, Ava, and the Biebs ;)




What a great class, I love all these kiddos!

That evening, Kinley lost her front tooth!! That thing had been hanging on forever!! :)

Last weekend in a cast...what to do?? Let's go to the zoo! Fun, right?
Um, or not. Not sure what this face was about, but I think she is over the wheelchair/cast thing!

Graham and Kinley had a good time, though!

 Stay tuned!! Coming up soon....BEST. DAY. EVER!!

No comments: